Running Man Recreation Association
Minutes of the General Membership Meeting
Running Man Clubhouse, March 1, 2005
Meeting Called to Order: Dan Murri, RMRA president, called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM at the RMRA Clubhouse. Board members present were Dan Murri (President), Beth Lee-Rausch (Vice-President), Phil Arcara (Secretary), Paul Daspit (Treasurer), Robert Dillman (Membership), Melissa Sherman (Clubhouse Coordinator), and Matt Teasdale (RMCA Liaison, non-voting). Board members absent were Carl Wentzel (Pool Operations) and Lisa Helmick (Swim Team Liaison). A total of 35 memberships were represented at the meeting, which included 24 members in attendance and 11 proxies. (See Attachment 1. - List of those present or represented at the March 1, 2005 RMRA general membership meeting.)
Welcome: Dan Murri welcomed all attendees to the annual membership meeting and introduced and thanked the current board members.
- Approval of March 4, 2004 minutes.
- Summary of operations, accomplishments, and budget for 2004.
- Plans and proposed budget for 2005.
- Other business.
- Election of Officers.
- Closing remarks.
Approval of March 4, 2004 Minutes: The minutes from the March 4, 2004 annual meeting were available in handouts and were posted on the RMRA website. A motion was made and seconded to accept the minutes of the 2004 annual meeting as written. There was no discussion and the motion passed unanimously.
Summary of Operations for 2004:
- The pool hours were changed back to 11am to 8pm (every day) with several night swims on Friday and Saturday nights to 10pm.
- The swim team competed in the Red Division of the GPSA, and had 116 swimmers.
- Furniture purchases included new lifeguard chairs, and more tables and chairs for the clubhouse. The swim team also installed new lane blocks.
- Decorations were added in clubhouse and most of the clubhouse interior was painted.
- The new bylaw amendment resulted in many fewer delinquent dues.
- Membership grew from 198 to 213 members.
- 7 new builder memberships have already been added so far in 2005, so we are up to 220 members with a cap of 300 members.
2004 Budget: (See Attachment 2. - Year 2004 Actual Budget and Year 2005 Proposed Budget.)
- Income was about $5,000 more than we expected and we spent less than the conservative projections we had for 2004.
- $2,000 additional income from pool rental to Typhoons will no longer be allowed due to insurance restrictions on renting to non-pool members.
- The net result was that the association had a surplus of $2,235.49 in 2004.
- The end of year cash balance was $51,509.14.
- The end of year mortgage obligation was $195,291.36.
Plans for 2005:
- Pool operations to be provided by a pool management company.
- Pool hours remaining the same: 11am to 8pm (every day) with periodic night swims on Friday or Saturday nights to 10pm.
- Some new pool furniture (chairs and umbrellas).
- Want to develop a new pool check-in system.
- Renew mortgage Ð already completed. Interest rate is 6.85% (previously 7%). Due for renewal in February 2010.
- Spring clean-up day planned for March 12, 8am-noon. Rain date is March 13, 1pm-5pm.
- Question - Why a 5 year mortgage? Answer - we are considered a commercial property and commercial loans are typically issued for 5 years.
2005 Proposed Budget: (See Attachment 2. - Year 2004 Actual Budget and Year 2005 Proposed Budget.)
- Dan noted that dues would remain the same at $325/year.
- Increase in repairs for plaster and grout touch ups.
- Adding 1 million more liability coverage at a cost of $400.
- Big change for 2005 would be using a pool management company for operations. Spent $29,000 last year on pool operations, projection for 2005 is $35,000. This is the major contributor to a projected deficit of $4,444.
- Question - Why change? Answer - Too much Board involvement has been required with an internal manager. We can try a private company management next year and see how it goes. If we like it, could consider raising dues if we actually run deficit.
- Question - Do we plan to check references of potential pool management companies? Answer - Each company provided a list of references that will be reviewed before signing a contract.
- Question - Did RMRA buy the new swim blocks? Answer - No, the Swim Team purchased the blocks and the RMRA agreed to pay for installation.
- Question - Where are the Swim Team expenses in the proposed budget? Answer - RMRA does not handle income/expenses for the Swim Team, they keep their own books.
- A motion was made and seconded to approve the 2005 RMRA proposed budget as presented and displayed in attachment 2. There was no discussion and the motion passed unanimously.
- The floor was opened for any other business that should be addressed by the association.
- Question - What happened to the proposed playground? Answer - That is an RMCA activity and a recent article appeared in the Smoke Signal giving a progress report.
- Question - Do we need more lighting at night of the pool area? Local crime enforcement officials have suggested that idea. Answer - The incoming board will look at a list of suggestions for additional lighting and make a recommendation.
Election of Officers:
- The slate for 2005 Board of Directors (recommended by the 2004 Board) was presented to the general membership. It included 4 new board members and 4 returning members.
- The ballots for the 2005 Board of Directors were collected and nominees shown below were elected unanimously (there were no write in candidates). The positions they have accepted are also shown, as well as the year through which they serve (the bylaws state that directors serve staggered two-year terms).
2005 Board of Directors as Elected:
||Swim Team Liaison
- Our organization is five years old and we have improved tremendously.
- This is a volunteer organization - please help where you can.
- Thank you for your patience and support.
- Question - When do we open? Answer - Memorial Day to Labor Day, weekends only until school lets out for summer vacation.
- With no further business to conduct the meeting was adjourned at 7:55pm.
Attachment 1. - List of those present or represented at the March 1, 2005 RMRA general membership meeting.
Attachment 2. - Year 2004 Actual Budget and Year 2005 Proposed Budget.
Return to RMRA Home Page